I absolutely love pork belly. Its fattiness feels decadent but it’s such a doddle to prepare. This is a great Friday night supper, when you want something a bit special because it’s the weekend but you’re also knackered from a week at work and your kids are finally in bed.
You can get 6 or 7 pork belly slices from Aldi for less than £2, which is enough for 2 adult dinners plus a bit of lunch the next day for one of you. Add some pak choi at about £1.50 and some rice or super noodles and that’s about £4.00 for 3 meals, assuming you have the store cupboard bits.
What you need
- 500g pork belly slices
- Small knob of ginger, grated
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed
- Slug of dark soy sauce
- Tablespoon of honey
- 2 star anise or a teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice powder
- Pack of pak choi
- Rice or noodles, to serve
What you do
- Mix together the ginger, garlic, soy, honey and star anise/5 spice then rub into the pork. I find the best way to do this is to put everything into a freezer bag, tie off the top and mush it together. Then you can throw the bag in the bin when you’re done!
- Marinate for as long as you can. If you do this in the morning before work, that’s perfect.
- Tip the meat and sauce into a baking dish and cook at 180C for 40-50 mins, turning once.
- Meanwhile, cook your rice or noodles and steam the pak choi.
- Pour any sauce over the meat and green to serve. That’s it!
Make it veggie: Well, it’s pork belly, so you know…You could use a similar marinade for firm tofu.
Make it low-carb: Remove the noodles/rice or replace with a zero version
Make it child-friendly: Add a little more honey and a squirt of tomato ketchup to the marinade