Holidays! Sunshine, swimming pools, cheap local beer, kids club every morning (very important).
But first, the flight. 4 hours, 4 people but only 3 seats. How do you keep kids entertained on the plane? Here are the toys and games I packed for the Gs.
I bought a stack of small, cheap new toys for the holiday. Hawkins Bazaar has a selection of “pocket money toys” and I started there. I added a few bits from Tiger and B&M Homestores. It’s not all the highest quality but if it gets lost or covered in sunscreen, it doesn’t matter.
Here’s what I packed for G Major in her carry on bag:
- Colouring book and pencils – colouring is a new obsession and she’s surprisingly neat, although she uses a LOT of black
- Wipe clean fairy faces book – helpfully reusable
- Mini stamp set – ideally for paper but if it descends into tattooing, so be it
- Tic tac toe game – the concept of placing the little wooden is a more concrete idea to grasp than drawing them on paper
- Ball and cup game – something physical but doesn’t require leaving her seat
- iPad and Headphones – because everyone loves a quiet child on a plane. She can m watch four hours straight of Angelina Ballerina for all I care.
And this was G Minor’s:
- Tolo figurine. If you haven’t seen the Tolo toys, check them out. They’re a little bit bigger than Playmobil and Duplo, great for toddler hands, and all of the limbs, hair, hats etc move
- Book – name the sea creatures before we get to the beach
- Crayons – she’s loving mark making
- Pop up puppet – if G Minor isn’t interested I bet any kids in the seat behind me will be
- Wind up train
Not that it really matters what I put in G Minor’s bag – she!only wants whatever G Major has and perhaps Mummy’s empty gin mini.
Plus snacks and sweets and G Minor’s dummy – usually for bed time only but again, quiet children = happy passengers so I don’t care.
What will you be taking away with you this summer?